Saturday, December 24, 2011

Who makes the best developer tools for mobile application development?

Who do you think makes the best development tools for smartphones or overall software development? I have always felt that Microsoft provides the best designers, debuggers, and source editors with Visual Studio. I have written Windows Phone applications, Android applications, but I have never used Xcode to write applications for the iPhone. I would like to know what your experience has been with the three platforms I mentioned or others like: RIM's Blackberry SDK, PalmOS, or Nokia's Symbian.





With my experience, I think Microsoft's Visual Studio is the best. I think they provide an extremely awesome IDE and rich development framework. I think I get the fastest time to market with Visual Studio. Their intellisense has always been top-notch except for the lack fo C++/CLI support in 2010. The Expression Blend UI Designer is very easy to use which complements MVC architecture. The .NET Framework and Silverlight Tools for Windows Phone is very rich. I never find myself re-inventing the wheel like I do on other platforms.





I think the Adroid Development Tools for Eclipse are pretty well done, but could be improved. I think the UI designer is sub-par and tend to write the XML layouts by hand instead. I think the debugger is alright, but no where near as good as VS. A simple typo while writing your XML layouts causes the Activity to crash with virtually no feedback. I think SQLite databases are fairly easy to integrate; however, I still think MS SQL Server CE is better.





What is your favorite? I have no experience with Xcode and the iOS SDK, so I am interested in why you might like that.|||the best way which i suggest you for the mobile application development tool you can try socialjitney


it way for the development|||Why pay for a Microsoft license? Visual Studio is nothing but silly. If rapid software development is a criteria you should try Linux to stay current and reach behind the GUI to make changes.





Eclipse and NetBeans are java-based and the tool of choice for Android. If you want to write Apple iPhone, put your money down at the Apple Store.





From your post, stick with Microsoft. The shift in corporate mission is Brad Smith -- Veep of Legal Counsel -- is pushing aside Ballmar and wants the legal system to delegate ownership of overlapping patents. In the next five years the software picture will be a lot different. It wouldn't surprise me if the Chinese buy Microsoft for chump change and then bribe our legal system to regain dominance.

No comments:

Post a Comment