Saturday, December 24, 2011

Getting started programing in Windows?

I want to start learning to develop in Windows (I'm coming from Java) and I do not know what software to download. I'm a student so I'm getting the software free from https://www.dreamspark.com/ (very nice of microsoft to do that). However there is a very long list of software and I don't know what I need. there are different categories as well. I decided that I don't need any of the server software, or the virtualPC (my computers kinda low-end) I am downloading Expression Studio right now but I'm not sure if I need it since I have photoshop. There are many applications under development tools and I'm not sure what I need and what I don't


Here is a list:


VisualStudio2010 profetional


SmallBasic


Kodu Game Lab


VisualStudio2010 Express


VisualStudio2008 Profetional


XNA Game Studio


Robotics Developer Studio 2008 RC3


Windows MultiPoint Mouse SDK


Windows Embedded Standard 7


Windows Embedded CE 6.0


Visual Basic 2008


Visual C# 2008


Visual C++ 2008


Visual Web Developer 2008


--------------------------------------鈥?br>

what I'm pretty sure I don't need:


Windows Phone (I'm on Android)


Visual Studios ( I only need 1 of them. I might go with express, is professional that much better?)


XNA Game Studio (I won't be doing Xbox or Zune Development)


Robotics Developer Studio (If only I had a Use for this!)


MultiPoint Mouse (Seems kinda cool though)


Windows Embeded


Visual Web Developer (I have DreamWeaver)





Also: I'm kinda confused about the visual basic/C#/C++. I guess I should get all 3 but which language should I focus on?|||Visual Studio Express should be enough for a beginner. If you are a student, you can also get Visual Studio Professional for free. Of course, Professional has more features, but again, you don't need them yet.



Visual Basic, C++, C# are different programming languages.

I would suggest to learn to C++/C#. After a year or two you will see that it is a better choice.|||For 3D programs I suggest using Alice 2.0 ( http://www.alice.org/index.php?page=down鈥?/a> )





For just regular applications Visual Basic 2010 would be best ( http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloa鈥?/a> (Look through the list for Visual Basic. C++ and C# are more advanced.))|||Whoa! You don't need even a fraction of that stuff to get started writing Windows applications.



All you need is Microsoft's own free Visual Studio 2010 Express development environment, which you can download from here:



http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloa鈥?/a>



The Pro version is hundreds of dollars and doesn't really add anything that you need, unless you get into MFC (which I don't necessarily recommend) or other Microsoft-specific proprietary stuff.



You might also find a resource editor handy鈥攇oogle for ResEdit, which is also free. It's not absolutely necessary. (The Pro version of Visual Studio comes with a resource editor, but it's hard to justify $700 just for that.)



C++ and C are the standard development languages for Windows. C# is a worthless Microsoft invention, and Visual Basic is very easy to get started with but produces slower and more awkward code than a compiled language like C/C++. Since you can get all of these for free with the Visual Studio Express software, you may as well install them all, just in case you want some variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment