Saturday, December 24, 2011

Is Java worth learning?

Hello guys,


I am learning Java %26amp; I have heard that very few desktop applications are written in Java.


Why is that so?


I am continuing to learn Java as the syntax is used for many other SDKs e.g. iPhone SDK, Android etc.


Is it really worth learning?


Or should I directly go for Java web development where it is used more?|||Man...SDK is the essence of JSPs and JSF ( web development in Java in general ) !! you have to know SDK in order to know the Java Web API ( Servlets, JSP, JSF..etc ), though there are some topics that are directly meant to desktop development in Java ( SWING , AWT , THREADS , Java I/O ) which will not be needed for the web development ( but its a good idea to learn them because in practical life you might need to use them in few rare cases )...anyway I really would recommend a book called ( thinking in Java ) by a guy called Bruce something...hope you all the best|||ur welcome :)

Report Abuse


|||Yeah, its worth learning if you ever plan to do applications for the different phones, or want your program to run on any operating system.





The reason you dont see too many applications written in java, to run on desktops is because java is not a compiled language so the apps run very SLOW, and consume tons of memory. You can write a much more efficient app in C++. Given the choice, I would never do an app in java, but sometimes you have no choice , like with the phones.|||The argument that few desktop applications are written in Java isn't true. Most of the products that are targeted to multiple platforms like Windows and Mac have codes written in Java. Eg: Adobe's Creative Suites require java, Well the run-time comes along with the product itself. So one won't notice it much.


Google uses java. Java is worth learning if you are really interested in. And it definitely isn't a waste.


But I don't give much care to java since I don't like that much.|||Well yeah, I know Java, C and C++, I know alot.





I think Java is just a good starting language to start out with, you can make some useful things with it, but not alot.





Also games can be written in Java. I would say learn Java first before your learn C or C++|||C# = Java (more or less).





By learning the basics of one language, you can apply that to other languages.|||yes of course

No comments:

Post a Comment